Jarrett and I had our first meeting with the
doula on Tuesday evening. We haven't yet signed the contract, but I am fairly certain we're going to go with Jenn Purdy of
Decatur Doulas. Jenn goes to our church, and though we didn't know her that well prior to this meeting, it does feel like there is already some sort of connection there. The meeting basically entailed Jenn going over her role at the birth, which is nothing clinical -- she is there to provide physical and emotional support. With her knowledge and experience, she will both be able to help Jarrett know how to help me, will help interpret what the midwife (or any doctors/nurses) is telling us (though I am not as concerned about this because from what I have heard from others, we have an awesome midwife), and to allow Jarrett to have any much-needed breaks. Some of the things Jenn might do are as follows:
- Provide massage
- Demonstrate breathing techniques
- Help Jarrett stay calm
- Offer cold/hot packs
- Comfort brow with a cool cloth
- Do the double-hip squeeze or provide counter pressure (I don't even fully understand this yet)
- Suggest positions to ease back labor and help with pushing
- Etc., etc.
Jenn will come to us when we all determine it is time, based on a phone call we'll make to her when I go into labor. She will then be there throughout the entire labor/birthing process, and will stay around for one to two hours after the birth until we are comfortable and are ready for quiet time. She will even help with initial breastfeeding. We will meet with her once more prior to the birth, and then she will make another visit one to two weeks after the baby is born.
She gave us a packet of information to take home and go over, so I've been spending some time here and there going through that. She provided a sheet with some interesting statistics about the difference having a doula can really make.
Benefits during labor to mother and baby:
- 50% decrease in cesarean sections
- 25% decrease in the length of labor
- 30% decrease in the use of forceps
- 40% decrease in the use of oxytocin (medication used to speed up labor)
- 60% decrease in the use of epidurals
- 30% decrease in the use of pain medication
Long-term benefits:
- Improved breastfeeding
- Increased time spent with baby
- Decreased postpartum depression
Because I want to try for the most natural childbirth experience possible, I think having Jenn around is going to be one of the best decisions we make.
No comments:
Post a Comment