Today marked the 16th week, and Jarrett and I went to my third midwife appointment (I saw Robin again) this afternoon. It was another quickie -- peed in a cup, had my blood pressure taken, weighed in (had gained two pounds since the last visit), and then went in to the room to talk to Robin. We had to decide today whether we wanted to have the maternal serum screening done, which tests for three birth defects -- neural tube defect, down syndrome, and trisomy 18. Margaret had told me during my first visit, and Robin told us again today, that this test really just gives you your odds of having a baby with one of these birth defects, and ends up scaring you more than anything else. Jarrett and I decided against it, and will just continue to pray that our baby is perfect. Jarrett was able to hear the heartbeat for the first time, which sounded just as amazing to me this time as it did the first time I heard it. I told her that I occasionally feel dull cramps, but said that I had read in my books that this is normal, and Robin confirmed that, yes, this is just my uterus expanding in size.
The greatly anticipated 20-week ultrasound is scheduled for Thursday, April 24, so we hope to find out the sex of the baby then. We'll pray that the little sea monkey isn't too modest and that its legs aren't crossed or something. My next regular appointment with the midwife is on Tuesday, April 29. I believe both of these appointments are with Margaret, but we left the office a little confused as to whether she was actually going to do the ultrasound. I guess we'll find out in about four weeks!
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment