Friday, October 3, 2008
Like Mother, Like Daughter
I type this as Elsa is fast asleep in her swing. I'm showered and prepared for our walk with Kate that we plan to take as a lunch outing. When she wakes, all I'll have to do is change her diaper, feed her, and load her up in the stroller -- then we'll be off! And who do I have to thank for all of this? The Indigo Girls. If you know me, you know that I have loved the Indigo Girls (in a strictly platonic, I love their music, kind of way... come on, now... I am married to a man) for years and years. I have seen them live several times, and there are very few of their albums that I do not own. Their newest, Despite Our Differences, contains my new favorite song, "Three County Highway," proven to be Elsa's fave as well. This CD (along with those by artists Band of Horses, Wilco, Ben Folds, and Drew Holcomb) were in the wagon throughout my entire pregnancy, and I played the Indigo Girls disc more times than I could possibly count. And "Three County Highway" was the most played -- and most sung -- track for sure. This must be the reason why I can now find this song on the iPod and play it on the stereo during Elsa's fussiest moments, and almost always have success in calming her down by moving around and singing with the Girls. It's truly amazing. This works when she is cranky in the car as well. God help me if I ever misplace this CD or accidentally delete the track off the iPod. Thankfully technology today makes it very easy to purchase tunes, so this is not a likely travesty. Anyway, so Elsa was quite upset this morning, and it seemed there was nothing I could do to calm her woes -- except pull out the "Three County Highway" card. The crying shut off like that. So thank you, Emily and Amy -- thank you for your fabulous song.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is so funny! Anything that can soothe a fussy baby is worth it's weight in gold. Glad your girl has such good taste in music. Andrew is currently obsessed with Elvis. (But hey, who doesn't like Elvis?) :-)
Post a Comment