One year ago today, at this exact moment, you sucked in your first breath outside my womb. And at that same, exact moment, you completely took away mine. We looked into each others' eyes for the first time, and I fell in love. I cradled you in my arms for the first time, nursed you for the first time, caressed your soft skin for the first time, hummed your first lullaby, and gave you your first kiss. And these were just the beginning of a year full of huge, momentous firsts.
From the time of your birth, our lives changed in ways for which you can never really be fully prepared. It has been quite the year, my little one -- one full of some of the most trying times, but also one full of some of the sweetest. We have cried in frustration, in fear, in hopelessness; we have laughed in joy and complete glee. At times it feels like it has been one of the longest years of my life, but at others it seems just a fleeting moment.
You have developed from a helpless, tiny newborn into a near-toddler. You can move on your own, you can feed yourself, you can communicate beyond crying. You are one. And you are amazing.
My life changed in dramatic ways one year ago, at this exact moment. And I thank God for sending me -- and challenging me -- with this gift. Happy birthday, my sweet. I love you.
Monday, September 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment