Elsa is one-month old today, and to celebrate we paid a visit to our favorite family doctor. Elsa now weighs 9 pounds, 13.5 ounces, and is 22.75 inches in length. Her head circumference is 15 inches. She is moving up the charts just as she should be, and is still in the higher percentiles as far as weight and height. The doctor thought she looked great and thought I was crazy when I told her that Elsa tends to cry unless she is eating, sleeping, or in her couple of periods of happy quiet/active awake time -- that is, until she started throwing a fit toward the end of the appointment. To her credit, though, it was time for her to eat. We did discuss the crying, though, and the doctor thought that at one-month, she really should not be crying as much as she is -- that we can no longer really blame it on general newborn fussiness at one month of age. So...??? We have a colicky baby. Something is bothering poor little Elsa's tummy, so I am going to cut dairy and soy out of my diet for a week and see if that makes a difference. If there is no change, I am going to add gluten to the no-nos. This is going to be tough for me, as I already attempted to do it for a few days on my own, thinking dairy might be to blame for some gas she was having trouble dealing with. But staying away from cheese was too tough for me. I am going to really try this time, though, now that the doctor has given her orders. I will have to tame my ice cream cravings as well. If none of this seems to work, we will be back at the doctor's office before our next scheduled two-month appointment to weigh out our other options.
We are crossing our fingers that she will start feeling better -- and start crying less -- soon. Of course the crying is quite frustrating, especially in the wee hours when it would lovely to get some shut eye, but really I just feel bad that something I am eating could be causing her pain.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
one month already dang time flys
Post a Comment