Thursday, April 2, 2009

Elsa's First Fever (At Least That We're Aware Of)

After Elsa woke up from her afternoon nap yesterday, and after feeding her, I realized she was quite warm. So I got up the guts to take her rectal (ugh!) temperature and it was 103.3 degrees Fahrenheit. We were supposed to be getting ready to go on a walk with Kate since the sun was actually trying to break through the rainclouds, so I just went ahead and gave her the appropriate dosage of ibuprofen and we headed out. We ended up taking a fairly short walk over to a friend's house, and Elsa just kind of stayed slumped over to the side of her stroller and remained rather listless. We chatted with our friend out on the front porch for awhile, and Elsa eventually got a bit fussy. I picked her up and realized she was still burning up, so I internally began to get a little worried. However, as we stood there a little longer, she eventually seemed to perk up and lost some of the extreme rosiness to her cheeks, and felt somewhat cooler, though still warm. By the time we put her to bed, her temperature was 100.5. It was 101 this morning, and is now around 101.4. I am just going to continue to keep an eye on it and will go into the doctor if need be (I've already been e-mailing the doctor about possibly going ahead with allergy testing for Elsa, so I've also made her aware of the fever). Other than the fever and a little congestion that I notice when she is nursing, she seems okay. She's still taking in fluids and wants to play, even if not as much as normal. I hope she gets over this soon -- she and I (and Merckx) are headed to see family in North Carolina Saturday morning!

No comments: