My midwife appointment last Thursday was less than ideal, but I made it through nonetheless. I drank my yummy orange drink on the way to the appointment (really, it wasn't that bad... it basically tasted like a flat orange soft drink). The appointment itself started out with the usual... peed in a cup, weighed in (I have now gained 11 pounds total since my first appointment, which means I gained about four more pounds since my previous appointment), and had my blood pressure checked (which was fine). I then went into the examination room, soon to meet the third -- and my least favorite -- midwife. We went through introductions and she asked me some questions, and I made the mistake of asking her a question. Jarrett and I were curious as to how the baby gets the clue to turn head first in the birth canal when it comes time to do so. Apparently one should not ask this particular midwife questions, as she dwelled on it the entire time. She did not know the answer, and said she had not been asked the question in her many years of midwifery. She said she was very curious, though, and would have to find out the answer. But it didn't stop there. She would ask a question on a completely different subject or check the heartbeat, and then interrupt herself and say, "Hmm... that 's a really good question... I'm going to have to find that out." It was just a little odd, and I felt quite distracted through the entire visit. Again, please let Margaret deliver our baby. :) I guess we'll have to see what shakes out with the whole transitional process, and see where Margaret ends up.
The other annoying factor was that Jarrett came to the appointment with me in hopes of getting his blood drawn so we could figure out his blood type and figure out if I really need the Rh immunoglobulin injection. Everyone still seemed fine with this idea until the lady that draws the blood said that they couldn't do it -- that the only test they could perform on a man (from the insurance companies' perspective since it's an OB/GYN office) is that for cystic fibrosis. So this was rather aggravating for both Jarrett and for me. It's likely I'll just go ahead and get the injection at my next appointment (in about two weeks) unless we find somewhere convenient for Jarrett to be tested for his blood type, as there is no harm in getting the shot even if I don't need it. But I'm still of the thought that why should I get something that I don't need? We'll see what happens. I did get my blood drawn for the glucose screening, and she wielded the needle quite well -- it was nearly painless.
Anyway, despite the crazy visit, everything looked good, and I should receive the results from the glucose test early this week. Pray for no gestational diabetes.
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment