Wednesday, June 18, 2008

North Carolina Baby Shower

Jarrett and I went to North Carolina over the weekend for a baby shower at his mom's house in the High Point/Greensboro area. We started out the trip late Thursday afternoon, and made a pitstop at my parents house in Charlotte on Thursday night. We had a good time visiting and going through boxes of old stuffed animals and baby clothes to see what might be worthy of passing down to Baby Helms.

After a nice breakfast with my parents late Friday morning, we headed further north to meet up with Jarrett's mom and sister, who were out shopping for decorations for the shower. When we arrived at the store, Jarrett started feeling a bit under the weather, and I felt quite tired myself, but thought it was just because of the hugeness of the store, which can often tire me out quite quickly. By the time we were ready to leave, Jarrett really felt the need to just go to his mom's house so he could rest for awhile. Within 20 minutes of being there, Jarrett was sick -- and it was the kind of sick that was coming out both ends, if you catch my drift. The poor thing was running to the bathroom every fifteen minutes, and it lasted (tapering off some) until around midnight when we were finally able to at least try to relax and get some sleep. I was able to sleep okay, but I don't think Jarrett slept much at all. I woke up around 5:30 Saturday morning and asked Jarrett if I could get him anything, and after a run to the kitchen to get him something to drink, I realized it was then my turn to get sick. And so it started in for me.

With the shower starting in a matter of hours, it was a bit of a worry whether to go on as planned or attempt to call it off. I was determined to let things roll (and figured it would be very difficult to try to get in touch with everyone at that point -- not to mention all the work that had already gone into it!), so we did. I got sick for the last time right after my mom and a couple of her friends arrived, but then somehow Jarrett and I made it through a four-hour event. The shower really was lovely -- we had a really nice time and received many wonderful gifts. Our friends, Erin and Jason, were able to make it down from Raleigh, and it was nice spending some time chatting with them after most of the other guests had left.

After Erin and Jason headed home, though, we completely crashed. We intended on taking about an hour nap and then getting up to eat something, but that turned into about three hours of sleep. We did eat a little and then laid back down, but Stephen noticed when he came in the room to chat with us that I was burning up. So we took my temperature and, sure enough, I had a fever... of 101.3°F. Jarrett called the OB/GYN office for the second time that day (he called earlier in the morning to see how concerned we should be about the loss of fluid and whether -- if this was caused by bacteria -- we should be concerned about the baby, but the doctor on call said things should be okay unless it lasted over 24 hours), and then talked to the same doctor, who was somewhat concerned about the fever and said that if it reached 102°F, we should be at the hospital. Jarrett's sister was kind enough to run out for us (again) and pick up some Extra Strength Tylenol (which is the only thing I can really take to bring down a fever), and within a couple hours after taking it, my temperature came down -- thank God. I did NOT want to end up at the hospital, for sure.

We were fairly worn out for the drive home on Sunday, but faired okay and are both back at about 100% now. Despite the ugly illness, the trip was so worth it for the shower, and I thank Jarrett's mom especially, as well as Bethany and my mom, who helped out with the food and decorations!

Here are some (okay, many... sorry) photos from the event. Enjoy.

















1 comment:

Christy said...

Oh my goodness! What a dramatic shower adventure! Sounds like you handled it like a champ - how you still look like a movie star in your pictures, I don't understand. :-)