Monday, June 9, 2008

Preparation for Childbirth

Jarrett and I took an all-day (8:30 a.m.–6:45 p.m.) Better Birth Foundation childbirth preparation class on Saturday. I think we were both slightly dreading it at first, mainly because of the length of the class, but the instructor was fabulous and made the class go by quicker than one would have thought possible. She didn't miss a beat as far as giving us all of the information, and she broke up the class really well in terms of the length of time spent in more of a lecture setting and the length of time spent actually practicing some of the techniques. We learned many breathing options and positions to use during labor and delivery, which I think will be most helpful. We'll just need to make sure and practice so that we don't forget anything before "labor day" (I guess this baby could potentially be born on Labor Day).

The instructor seemed to favor us a bit after she found out that we were having the baby at North Fulton Regional with Margaret Strickhouser. After we said we were going to North Fulton, she even asked if we were with Margaret... and Margaret was actually the acting midwife in one of the births we watched on video. After the class, Jarrett and I were commenting that it seemed as if Margaret is the Ina May Gaskin of Atlanta. Hey, I'm not complaining. She also commented on North Fulton several times in positive ways, so I definitely left the class feeling even better about our choices.

The due date is three months from today... can you believe it?

No comments: