Wednesday, August 20, 2008

37-Week Midwife Appointment

I had a very brief appointment with Margaret yesterday. Of course, I went through the regular initial routine of peeing in a cup (I guess everything was fine, as nothing was said), having my blood pressure taken (still good), and getting weighed in (gained one pound since last week, so I now weigh 149). Everything continues to seem fine with Baby Helms. She hasn't managed any crazy acrobatic moves (although sometimes it feels to the contrary!), and still remains head down. Margaret hasn't yet checked to see if I'm at all dilated/effaced -- she said she would yesterday if I really wanted her to, but I figured that I would rather just wait for now. If I'm one centimeter dilated, I would probably start to get crazy excited even though I really know that I could remain this way for weeks. I would rather just remain calm and let things run their course at this point. Besides, she said she would most likely check things out next Tuesday, so it's really not that long to wait.

Jarrett and I have decided to go ahead with banking the baby's cord blood, so I made Margaret aware of that. It sounds like she's been through the process quite a few times, so I completely trust she knows what she is doing. We got our collection kit in the mail yesterday, so that is another item to add to our hospital bag!

They still did not have my medical records, though Margaret did go ahead and fill out the paperwork I need to turn in to work for FMLA/short-term disability. I was ticked enough yesterday about this, though, and since I was taking a vacation day because of several appointments I had, I decided to stop by North Pointe OB/GYN and give them a piece of my mind. I mean, come on, I requested the transfer to be made weeks ago, and had even paid the transfer fee for this second time... AND the check cleared a couple of weeks ago. But in the end, I decided to take the nice approach when I arrived at the office, and that worked out pretty well for me. I told them I was just getting worried that this had not been done yet since I was now 37 weeks pregnant, and my favorite receptionist at that office said she did not want me to be worried and that, though they were short staffed, she would make sure the records were faxed over lunch. She also assured me someone would call when this was done. I got a call while still on the drive back home. So I called Isis and told them to be on the look out, so hopefully everything is okay now. Cross your fingers.

No comments: