Wednesday, August 27, 2008

38-Week Midwife Appointment

I had another somewhat uneventful midwife appointment yesterday -- unless you want to take into account the crazy weather we had to deal with in getting there. I love it when we're driving around and they tell us there is a tornado warning (meaning, yes, that they have actually spotted churning, circling cloud movement) and that it is recommended people in the affected areas seek shelter. Kind of difficult when you are stuck on the highway in terrible traffic and pouring rain. Anyway, we are fine... and no tornado touched down.

Jarrett came with me to this appointment so that he could finally officially meet Margaret. Thankfully he likes her just as much as I do. As for the appointment basics, my urine analysis was fine, blood pressure was fine, but as for the weight? Is gaining four pounds in one week fine? I am going to say yes just to get me through this -- and because neither the nurse nor Margaret said anything to the contrary. Anyway, I am up to 153 now. I have gained 23 pounds since my first appointment. I am counting on breastfeeding to burn calories like crazy after the birth. :) And I am sure some of that is water weight, as now it seems my ankles do not go quite back to normal even after having them elevated in bed overnight. It is just that time in the pregnancy, I guess. Margaret checked the baby and its heartbeat, and everything seemed fine. I thought she was going to check and see if I was dilated/effaced at all, but she said she typically waits until the 39-week mark -- I think she and I have both been a bit confused since she hasn't had my records right in front of her (though she has them now finally!) and with my due date having been pushed back a week early on in the pregnancy after that first ultrasound. Anyway... so next week she should check this. I asked Margaret how long she would let me go past my due date, and she said two weeks, which would be September 23. Let us hope that Baby Helms makes her debut before then! It could still obviously happen any time...

She also went over our birth plan with us, which was very helpful, and now I just need to make a few minor tweaks and it will be complete. All paperwork for work (leave of absence, FMLA, short-term disability stuff) is now completely filled out and turned in. And she also further described how the collection of the cord blood will play out. Overall, it was a good appointment, and Jarrett and I are both glad he was able to make it. Now we are really ready!

No comments: