Wednesday, July 2, 2008

10 Weeks Left (Maybe)

We've reached the 30-week mark, which I'm finding a bit hard to believe. It seemed like forever before we reached 20 weeks and had the ultrasound, but time has flown by ever since. Full-term is considered to be 36 weeks, so we of course want to at least make it that far -- but that is six weeks away! We could actually have a baby in six weeks, and that is insane to me. Don't get me wrong -- we're excited -- but it still seems crazy.

So what is Baby Helms up to this week? BabyCenter says that she is about 15.7 inches long now, and weighs almost 3 pounds (we're talking head-of-cabbage-size this week). A pint-and-a-half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and takes up more room in the uterus. Her eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision -- which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face.

In other news, I was supposed to meet with Margaret in the new practice for the first time yesterday morning, but as I was literally about to make the turn onto the highway, I got a call from her. Apparently her contract is not working out as planned, and after just two weeks she is already likely going to leave. She told me that she thought she would be able to see me this Thursday (where, I don't know) and that she would give me a call back yesterday afternoon, but I have yet to hear from her. Yes, I am feeling a bit anxious about this situation, but I do find comfort in the fact that she is actually calling me personally on my cell phone. Who knows, maybe she had to attend a birth yesterday. I am just hoping I hear something today. I have somewhat of a back-up plan if things to work out with Margaret, but I just like her so much that I would hate for it to come to that. We shall see.

My dear friends, Jill and Meeghan, threw me a surprise pre-baby shower on Monday evening, which was very sweet of them. Neither of them are going to be able to make it to the shower in August, so they wanted to do something prior. It was, of course, completely unnecessary, but very thoughtful and fun. Thanks, girls!

No comments: