Wednesday, July 30, 2008

34-Week Midwife Appointment

I had an appointment with Margaret yesterday, which went well. I peed in a cup and didn't hear anything about "spilling" sugar this time around (though we started talking about other things, and I forgot to ask... but I kind of figure if there was a problem, she would have said something), my blood pressure was fine, and I had gained three pounds in the last three weeks, which the nurse said was perfect. Margaret played out her routine with Baby Helms, first just feeling around the belly and saying hello, then listening for the heartbeat (which was beating fairly fast... probably because she was moving around and had the hiccups just before), and then feeling for the positioning of the baby. She claims that the baby's head is still really far down, which is great, and she says the baby is not going anywhere. She also said that if people think I look small it's for that reason -- most babies don't drop as far down as early as Baby Helms has. I asked her if this was a sign that she might come early, but she said it doesn't mean a thing... except that she will come out -- just in case I was feeling anxious about that. I told her that since I did weigh 11 pounds at birth that the thought did cross my mind that I might have a huge baby myself, but she said there was no way I was going to have an 11-pounder. She thought even a 9-pounder was a stretch, though still possible.

I asked her what the likelihood was that she would attend the birth, and she said it was pretty darn likely since the other midwife at the practice was going to be out August 30 through September 12. I also asked her if I was going to be hooked up to monitors and IVs during the labor and delivery, and she said no. She said they would probably run a strip on the monitor when I first got there, but would then take it off and leave it off (just checking the baby's heart beat periodically during labor) unless I decided to lay back down in the bed. Apparently if you're laying down, the nurses feel the need to hook you back up to everything. It will definitely be my goal NOT to lay down. :) We also talked some about breastfeeding (mostly Margaret reassuring me that things would be fine) and also about cord blood banking (something Jarrett and I still need to make a decision about). Overall it was a very good appointment, and I was able to go ahead and schedule all of my remaining appointments up to the 40-week mark, which was great. I'll go again the Tuesday after next, and then every Tuesday thereafter. Exciting!

In other baby news, Jarrett and I worked on our birth plan last night, and I sent it off to Jenn, our doula, this afternoon. I think we're going to try to meet with her next week for our last meeting prior to the birth. We'll go over and revise the birth plan, and I'm sure go over other general issues regarding the big day. (I'll probably have Margaret look over the plan as well.) This Saturday is my local baby shower, hosted by Kate and Shelly, and I am much looking forward to it. My parents and brother are coming down Friday afternoon and will stay until Saturday evening so my mom can attend the shower with me. My dad will likely join in on the Man Day activities, which are taking place at our house while all us girls are over at Kate's. My brother is going to visit a friend while in the area. It should be a fun weekend!

No comments: