According to BabyCenter, this week Baby Helms weighs a little over 4 pounds (to get an idea, heft a pineapple) and has passed the 17-inch mark. She is rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look (which I think we're happy about) and her skeleton is hardening. The bones in her skull are not fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for her to fit through the birth canal (which I am definitely happy about). (The pressure on the head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with a conehead-like appearance.) These bones do not entirely fuse until early adulthood so they can grow as her brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood.
In other pregnancy news, I am currently suffering from a hated summer cold... I'm considering it some sort of punishment for turning 30 tomorrow. I am fine with blaming any badness this week on that. Really, though, I am not actually dreading the big 3 - 0. It's the new 20, right? I do, however, wish this cold would go away quickly. I saw the chiropractor (Dr. J.) yesterday, and she gave me a couple of products that are safe to use while pregnant, so hopefully those will help. I see her monthly, and she has been keeping me well adjusted... but I realized yesterday that I will likely only see her once more prior to the baby's arrival. Crazy!
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment